Thursday, February 6, 2020

Mixed English Questions for Mains Exam — Set 243

Directions(1-5): A sentence divided into three parts, I, II and III is given. For each part, a correction statement is given at i, ii and iii respectively. Determine the part(s) in the question statement that requires correction and can be replaced by the respective segment given in the alternatives. Then mark the relevant option as your answer.

  1. Today, few than 25% of tropical forests have escaped,/ industrial logging and each year, new concessions are gave, / to industrial loggers in forests that had hitherto never been logged.

    I. Today, less than 25% of tropical forests have escaped
    II. industrial logging and each year, new concessions are given
    III. to industrial loggers at forests that had hitherto never been logged
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    Both I and III
    All I, II and III
    No correction required
    Option A

     


  2. WWI also influenced the collective psyche of the government of, (I)/ independent India, starting with the tenets of non – alignment that, (II)/ came to embody a core mantra of the country’s foreign policy ethos. (III)

    i. WWI also influenced the collectively psyche of the government of
    ii. independent India, starting by the tenets of non – alignment that
    iii. come to embody a core mantra of the country’s foreign policy ethos
    Only II
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    Both I and III
    No correction required
    Option E

     


  3. In the early day of the war, troops of the Indian army, (I)/ backed off the political bourgeoisie, were enthusiastic in, (II)/ responding to the British government’s call for military support from India. (III)

    i. In the early days of the war, troops of the Indian army
    ii. backed by the political bourgeoisie, were enthusiastic in
    iii. responding at the British government’s call for military support from India
    Only III
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    Both I and III
    No correction required
    Option B

     


  4. Market prices for cotton are current close to the Minimum Support Price, (I)/ but this is largely because of traders betting, (II)/ that export demand will risen due to the U.S. – China trade war. (III)

    i. Market prices for cotton are currently close to the Minimum Support Price
    ii. but this are largely because of traders betting
    iii. that export demand will rise due to the U.S. – China trade war.
    Only III
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    Both I and III
    No correction required
    Option D

     


  5. One potentially way of saving plants with hard – to – store seeds, (I)/ are, somewhat counter – intuitively, to freeze, (II)/ they at a much lower temperature using liquid nitrogen. (III)

    i. One potential way of saving plants with hard – to – store seeds
    ii. is, somewhat counter – intuitively, to freeze
    iii. them at a much lower temperature using liquid nitrogen.
    Only II
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    All I, II, III
    No correction required
    Option D

     


  6. Directions(6-10): In the given questions, a statement with a blank has been given, followed by three words out of which more than one can complete the sentence grammatically and contextually. Find the word (s) which can fill the blank and choose the option accordingly.

  7. New Year brings some ________________ for consumers as onion loses some sting

    I) Cheer
    II) Joy
    III) Happiness
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and II
    All I, II, III
    Option E

     


  8. The TMC decided to stage ______________ agitations across the state against the government's policies that have allegedly led to vicious riots.
    I) Massive
    II) Fabulous
    III) Mega
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and III
    Both II and III
    Option D

     


  9. When asked about her father, Suravi lost her outward enthusiasm and became rather______.
    I) Reserved
    II) Expansive
    III) Talkative
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and III
    Both II and III
    Option A

     


  10. The chef was ________ in making his noodles and would never let another person take over the task.
    I) Cautious
    II) Famous
    III) Attentive
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and III
    Both II and III
    Option D

     


  11. Vikram lost its Earth link when it was 2.1 kms and 3 minutes from what would have been a __________________ first ever touchdown close to the lunar south pole.
    I) Historic
    II) Famed
    III) Memorable
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and II
    All I, II, III
    Option E
    “Historic” means famous or important in history, or potentially so. “Famed” means known about by many people; renowned. “Memorable” means worth remembering or easily remembered, especially because of being special or unusual.

     




No comments:

Post a Comment