Sunday, April 11, 2021

English Questions: Fill in the Blanks 162

Directions(1-5): A statement with one blank is given below. Choose the set of words from the given options which can be used to fill the given blank.

  1. The problem is that scientists have struggled to ________________ just how quickly the polar ice sheets are melting.
    I. nail down
    II. establish
    III. bite the nail
    Only I
    Only III
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    All I, II and III
    Option C
    Both options I and II provide grammatically and contextually correct filler. ller. The phrases III do not make sense when fitted in the blank. ‘Nail down’ means establish conclusively, ‘bite the nail’ means be worried or apprehensive.

     


  2. The U.S. first disbanded the Iraqi military, leaving tens of thousands of soldiers jobless overnight, which _____________.
    I. posed a security threat
    II. threatened security
    III. gave rise to secure
    Only I
    Only II
    Both I and II
    Both I and III
    All of these
    Option C
    Option i is correct as it begins with the verb ‘posed’ and gives us the consequence of the mentioned act.
    Option ii is correct as it begins with the verb ‘threatened’, and tells us of what happened next.
    Option iii is incorrect as although it begins with the verb ‘gave’, it ends with the adjective ‘secure’, which is not modifying anything.

     


  3. When Henry saw Colleen at the airport, she seemed de􀁾ated, smaller in the wheelchair, ____________________ her leg had been taken from her.
    I. as if more than
    II. like excess of
    III. such as most of
    Only I
    Only I and II
    Both II and III
    Both I and III
    None of the above
    Option A
    The only option I provide grammatically and contextually correct filler. The phrases II and III do not make sense when fitted in the blank. The reason is that a leg is a leg; there’s no measure to it like more or less. What the sentence wants to say is that more than just Colleen’s leg had been taken away from her, but what II and III mean that some measured part – more or less, has been taken away, which will not make any sense.

     


  4. While the economic loss could have been worse, analysts worry about workers in Mexico City, who suffered the __________________.
    I. Impact of the closure
    II. Brunt of the shutdown
    III. Consequences of the shut
    Only I and III
    Both II and III
    Both I and II
    Only I
    Only II
    Option C
    Both options I and II provide grammatically and contextually correct filler. The phrases III do not make sense when fitted in the blank. The reason is that ‘shut’ is a verb and does not fit with ‘consequences of the’.

     


  5. Experts say that a lack of awareness and training about cervical cancers ________________ for suboptimal surgeries.
    I. primarily leads to
    II. is the primary reason
    III. gives rises to
    Both II and III
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    All of these
    Option C
    We need a phrase here that means to lead or to cause, as the first half of the sentence gives us the cause (lack of awareness and training about cervical cancers) and the second half gives the effect (suboptimal surgeries).
    Only option ii is grammatically and contextually correct.
    Options i and iii are incorrect as they carry the preposition ‘to’ and it cannot be followed by preposition ‘for’.

     


  6. For a country that claims ___________ to ahimsa, India’s treatment of its animals betrays a moral failure.
    I) Adherence
    II) Constancy
    III) Endurance
    Only I
    Both I and II
    Only II
    Only III
    Both II and III
    Option B
    “Adherence” and “Constancy” are synonyms and both means “attached” or “being loyal to” which are suitable for the blank contextually. “Endurance” which means “persistence” is irrelevant to the context.

     


  7. What strikes you the most when you enter Parliament now is __________ .
    I) Blank
    II) Chasm
    III) Emptiness
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and II
    Both II and III
    Option E
    Though grammatically all the three words “blank”, “chasm” and “emptiness” means “vacuum” or “hollowness” the usage of the word “blank” is different from other two words and therefore, ‘blank’ is not suitable for the blank space. “Chasm” and “emptiness” are contextually fit for the blank.

     


  8. The minister’s statement came at ___________ when chances of tax cuts appeared remote, so it surprised many.
    I) Juncture
    II) Fluke
    III) Exigency
    Only I
    Only II
    Both I and III
    Both II and III
    Both I and II
    Option C
    “Juncture” or “exigency” means “crucial time” or “emergency” that is suitable for the blank contextually. “Fluke” means “blessing” and it is irrelevant to the context of the blank.

     


  9. Martin can easily _____________ all the facts about any player on the team.
    I. Respite
    II. Revere
    III. Recite
    All I, II and III
    Both I & III
    Only III
    Only I
    Only II
    Option C
    The meaning of the following words:
    I. Respite- a short relief from something difficult
    II. Revere- feel respectful or admiration for someone
    III. Recite- readout or say something from memory

     


  10. Their __________ would be at the Penta Hotel at Heathrow Airport.
    I. Prejudice
    II. Rendezvous
    III. Meeting
    Only III
    Both I and III
    Only II
    All I, II and III
    Both II and III
    Option E
    The sentence implies that the meeting would be at the Penta Hotel at Heathrow Airport. ‘Rendezvous’ is ‘a meeting at an agreed time and place’. Hence, both ‘rendezvous’ and ‘meeting’ are apt for the blank.

     




 

Click here for topic wise English Language Questions

 

No comments:

Post a Comment