Wednesday, June 3, 2020

English: Error Spotting for Upcoming Exams – Set 201

Directions(1-5): Given below are three statements, of which some may be incorrect. Identify the correct statement(s).

  1. I. Gestures like these prove that standing together and restore our faith in humanity as a nation during the time of crisis.
    II. Gestures like these restore our faith in humanity and prove that we can stand together as a nation during the time of crisis.
    III. During the time of crisis, gestures like these restore our faith in nation and prove that we can stand together as a humanity.

    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and II
    All of these
    Option B
    'And' is used to add similar clauses, often with the same tense. Sentence I is wrong as it uses the different tenses for the two clauses joined by 'and'.

    Humanity is a quality that is found in us as individuals, something that we express. It is not something that we 'Stand together as'. We stand together as nation.

     


  2. I. Most passengers who travel to Australia, Middle East and Asia, end up with a few hours transit at Dubai Airport.
    II. Most passengers who travel to Australia, Middle East and Asia board the connecting flights at the Dubai Airport.
    III. Dubai Airport serves as an interim stop for passengers travelling to Australia, Middle East and Asia.
    Only II
    Only III
    Only I
    Both I and II
    All of these
    Option E

     


  3. I. Kung Fu Panda is the movie that introduced us to cool tricks in our childhood and inevitably made us want to learn their Kung Fu.
    II. Kung Fu Panda is the movie that inevitably made us want to learn cool tricks and introduced us to Kung Fu in our childhood.
    III. Kung Fu Panda is the movie that introduced us to Kung Fu in our childhood and inevitably made us want to learn their cool tricks.
    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and II
    All of these
    Option C

     


  4. I. Based on the life of A Beautiful Mind, Nobel Laureate John Nash is one of the most famous biographical movies ever made.
    II. Based on the life of Nobel Laureate John Nash, A Beautiful Mind is one of the most famous biographical movie ever made.
    III. Based on the life of Nobel Laureate John Nash, A Beautiful Mind is one of the most famous biographical movies ever made.

    Only I
    Only II
    Only III
    Both I and II
    All of these
    Option C
    Biographical movies (A Beautiful Mind) are made based on the life of a person (Nobel Laureate John Nash). So, I is wrong.

    Alternative II is incorrect as “one of the” would be followed by a plural subject. So, “movie” is incorrect here.

     


  5. I. She never has and never will take such strong measures and this is a lesson she intends to teach her children too.
    II. She never has taken and never will take such strong measures and these is a lesson she intends to teach her children too.
    III. She never has taken and never will take such strong measures and this is a lesson she intends to teach her children too.
    Only I
    Only III
    Both I and II
    Both I and III
    All of these
    Option B
    In the given statements ‘taken’ is the main verb. It can take two auxiliary verbs ‘has’ and ‘will’ to imply past and future actions. This makes statement I incorrect and statement III correct. Statement II is incorrect as ‘these’ and ‘is’ cannot exist together. The correct expressions are ‘this is’ or ‘these are’.

     


  6. Directions(6-10): In the following questions, a part of the sentence is given in brackets. Below the sentence alternatives to the bold part are given at (A), (B), (C) and (D) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case the given sentence is correct, your answer is (E) i.e. No correction required.

  7. Although my cousin invited me, (I choose not) to go to the reunion.
    I chose not
    I will choose not
    I would choose not
    I am choosing not
    No correction required
    Option A

     


  8. The professional, who had been thoroughly trained, (was at a loss) to explain.
    were at a loss
    was being at a loss
    was at loss
    was at the loss
    No correction required
    Option E

     


  9. The path to my fixed purpose is laid on iron rails, on which my soul (is grooving run).
    were grooved to run
    is grooved to run
    was grooving to run
    is groove to run
    No correction required
    Option B

     


  10. Frustrated families of the missing people (have sought access) to all documents and data concerning the search and the inclusion of international experts in the inquiry.
    have sought accessing
    is seeking access
    are seeking accessed
    has sought accesses
    No correction required
    Option E

     


  11. When they left, the man sitting next to me shared his views (as many of the many jobless).
    as many of the jobless
    as he were a jobless
    as one of the many jobless
    as all of the people who were jobless
    No correction required
    Option C

     




No comments:

Post a Comment